Dear recent Orlando transplant:

Ok, so you just moved to Orlando from New York / Philly / Chicago / San Francisco / et al. You feel lost, uprooted, misplaced -- you're starting to think Orlando might suck. Eager to find some nightlife in this town, you go to Lattitudes on Church Street, Slingapour's on Wall Street and that mega-club on Orange Avenue owned by one of those Backstreet Boys (Orlando's finest celebrities). Maybe you even think International Drive, Citywalk or Downtown Disney is where everyone hangs out in this town. Now you really think Orlando sucks.

Well, you're wrong. There is more to this city than theme park "nightlife" and crappy clubs with guys wearing shiny shirts, but you have to know where to look. Instead of complaining about how lame Orlando is compared to your city of origin, why not get out there and support your new scene -- it's a lot better than you think! After all, you moved here for a reason, right? (I'm guessing to escape the cold weather.) So you can do one of two things: either 1) move back to the city you think is sooooo much more awesome or 2) quit bitchin', check the events below and DON'T SLEEP on the shit that is happening!

Friday, May 16, 2008

What's So Funny 'Bout Peace, Love and $300 tickets?



I am a HUGE fan of The Police and was psyched to hear about their tour last summer. That is... until I found out about the price tag accompanying the long-awaited reunion. The tickets in my price range were labeled "obstructed view" -- meaning you were sitting behind a pole in the nosebleed section -- and sold out faster than you can spell Sting. My friends were forking over the $300 for lower level (not even the floor?!?!? Jesus!) and I was pretty discouraged. I just couldn't bear to spend $300 for ONE band and ONE show. It all worked out in the end, though, when one of my favorite guys in the whole world gave me a ticket for my birthday. Hooray!!!

Long story short: I saw them and they were AMAZING. Stuart Copeland is totally the man!!! I still get goose bumps when I hear the song "Wrapped Around Your Finger," as I remember the gigantic percussion set rising from beneath the stage. Seeing him perform the multi-layered, studio-produced song live (and without missing a beat) made me think he may not even be human. His wrists look like rubber when he is playing the drums.

So, if you have any extra $300 that you can happily spend on a show, The Police are the way to go. Joining them at the Amway Arena tonight is Elvis Costello, which is a major improvement over Maroon 5 -- the opening band when I saw them. As my boss put it, "I'm spending $150 to see Elvis Costello and $150 to see The Police. That makes it a little less painful." Indeed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Did you REALLY think they were amazing? Yeah, their set was tight, but they didn't stray too far off the beaten path. I wasn't disappointed, but I was certainly not blown away. I was just happy to check them off my list of bands I had to see before I dropped. But Costello on the other hand....impressive.