Dear recent Orlando transplant:

Ok, so you just moved to Orlando from New York / Philly / Chicago / San Francisco / et al. You feel lost, uprooted, misplaced -- you're starting to think Orlando might suck. Eager to find some nightlife in this town, you go to Lattitudes on Church Street, Slingapour's on Wall Street and that mega-club on Orange Avenue owned by one of those Backstreet Boys (Orlando's finest celebrities). Maybe you even think International Drive, Citywalk or Downtown Disney is where everyone hangs out in this town. Now you really think Orlando sucks.

Well, you're wrong. There is more to this city than theme park "nightlife" and crappy clubs with guys wearing shiny shirts, but you have to know where to look. Instead of complaining about how lame Orlando is compared to your city of origin, why not get out there and support your new scene -- it's a lot better than you think! After all, you moved here for a reason, right? (I'm guessing to escape the cold weather.) So you can do one of two things: either 1) move back to the city you think is sooooo much more awesome or 2) quit bitchin', check the events below and DON'T SLEEP on the shit that is happening!

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Tonight: Felix Cartal and Suprise Guest DJ!

Photo by Kcoll Designs

Canadian super electro-kid, Felix Cartal, will be gracing the tables with the guys of Carnival this evening. Although his Myspace page lists him playing at Studio B tonight, he's actually playing at the more idiotically-named Suite B (Yes, it was unoriginally named after their address. Yes, and everyone thinks you're saying Sweet Pea).

Felix has certainly proved himself to be a big dog in the electro game, remixing the likes of MSTRKRFT, Dragonette and Franz and Shape, to name a few. And I must say, anyone who can make me like a Britney Spears or Ashlee Simpson track must have some skills.

Not necessarily his most recent, but here are some of my favorite tracks:

Felix Cartal - Drugs.mp3

Felix Cartal - Moss vs. Tree.mp3

Britney Spears - Outrageous (Felix Cartal Remix).mp3

Ashlee Simpson - L.O.V.E. (Felix Cartal Remix).mp3


Now, onto the real fun of this post: a section I like to call, "Guess the Heavily-Advertised 'Surprise Guest DJ'!!!"



Assuming there actually is a surprise DJ, let's look at the options. Based on Felix's "Top 8" (yes, most of my research is based on Myspace), here are the choices:

The D.A. - I have to be honest: I have no idea who these dudes are. Maybe a Canadian DJ crew of sorts? All I can gather is they are also from British Columbia and they're "sort of like an abortion but with more cursing." I can't even Google search them without a million Da Vinci Code pages coming up, so I'm ruling them out.

MSTRKRFT - They were just in O-town on the 14th + they're playing in Norway tonight = I am crossing them off the list.

AM - Lol... straight from his website: "You know a party is hot; high profile and happening if AM is the DJ. A-Listers show up to events not to be seen but to hear AM spin and tear up the dance floor to his records of choice." Yeah right. They're showing up because he dated Nicole Richie. I'm guessing the most pretentious LA DJ alive is not the one playing tonight.

Miko - Um, I think this is Felix Cartal's manager and he isn't even a DJ. So.... no.

The Bloody Beetroots - I heart these guys so much and wish they would come to Orlando; I'm even learning Italian for when they come to Florida and I can take them and Crookers to Disney World. Their only US dates appear to be in LA or NYC at the moment, though, so they look like a no-go. Ché Vergogna.

Hostage - This Scotsman has remixed Felix Cartal several times and vice versa. He's super dope but also over in the UK this weekend and It's doubtful that a mid-week trip to Orlando was on his agenda.

This brings us to our final two:

LA Riots vs. Lazaro Casanova. I know the Carnival guys are friends with LA Riots but they were here pretty recently. If I had to guess, I would imagine the super secret DJ is Miami's own Lazaro Casanova. Maybe they're keeping him under wraps because the only time I ever saw him DJ, he managed to completely CLEAR the dance floor. At the Winter Music Conference, no less. Yikes.

So there you have it -- based solely upon my (not so sharp) deduction skills, Lazaro will be spinning with the Carnival boys tonight. Perhaps I should have been a detective.

Happy Wednesday!!!

EDIT: Damn, I was *this* close. As a late-breaking Myspace bulletin reports: "Don't forget, a Special Guest will be causing RIOTS on the dance floor earlier in the evening." I guess LA Riots it is!

1 comment:

DJ AM said...

check your email and reply punk!