Dear recent Orlando transplant:

Ok, so you just moved to Orlando from New York / Philly / Chicago / San Francisco / et al. You feel lost, uprooted, misplaced -- you're starting to think Orlando might suck. Eager to find some nightlife in this town, you go to Lattitudes on Church Street, Slingapour's on Wall Street and that mega-club on Orange Avenue owned by one of those Backstreet Boys (Orlando's finest celebrities). Maybe you even think International Drive, Citywalk or Downtown Disney is where everyone hangs out in this town. Now you really think Orlando sucks.

Well, you're wrong. There is more to this city than theme park "nightlife" and crappy clubs with guys wearing shiny shirts, but you have to know where to look. Instead of complaining about how lame Orlando is compared to your city of origin, why not get out there and support your new scene -- it's a lot better than you think! After all, you moved here for a reason, right? (I'm guessing to escape the cold weather.) So you can do one of two things: either 1) move back to the city you think is sooooo much more awesome or 2) quit bitchin', check the events below and DON'T SLEEP on the shit that is happening!

Friday, June 20, 2008

Wonder-full Birthday Weekend!!!

This weekend, I'll be in Boston celebrating the final year in my 20's, but I won't leave you high and dry. Did I mention I'll be seeing Stevie Wonder on Sunday night?!?!?!? I did?



Okay, let's move on to what's happening here in town:



Of course, you should know by now that I am having my (Stevie) Wonder-full Birthday Party tonight at The Peacock Room. I'll be DJing with Ken Sherry and Andrew Spear, so come out and buy me a birthday shot!!!



Tomorrow, summer is officially here! This doesn't mean as much to Floridians as it does to northerners, but still. Soul Elevation Music is kicking the season off proper with their monthly party, Saturday Sessions, at Downey Park from 12 - 7 PM. The music will be on the deep house, NYC garage and afro beat tip -- perfect for a summer day. Click the flyer above for more info.



Saturday night at BackBooth, local band the Sugar Oaks are having their official release party for their EP, No One Can Love You Like Me. If you're not sure who these kids are, check out Jason Feguson's article in the Orlando Weekly. 5 bucks gets you in to see three bands -- Sugar Oaks (obviously), Look Mexico and The Alvarez Quartet, plus a copy of their new EP.



I haven't heard his name in a minute, but Chez Damier is DJing Saturday night at Crooked Bayou. Back in '98, I couldn't stop hearing his song Close; it was pretty much on every compilation and mix CD I bought at the time. His name was synonymous with Pepe Braddock, Julius Papp and Alex Gopher (on a side note, I love how Alex Gopher has totally shifted gears from the dreamier, airy side of French house to the heavier, grittier French electro scene). I was looking for some background on Mr. Damier but all I could gather from his Myspace page is that he's turned into a religious nut (or perhaps he's always been one). Jesus freak or not, don't miss the chance to see a staple in the deep house scene at an intimate venue.



Sunday brings us another installment of "I'm Dat Digga" -- a BBQ and record exchange at Post Renaissance. Last time the selection was mostly hip hop, but I managed to score some dope funk on vinyl: Open Sesame by Kool and the Gang, Too Hot to Handle by Heatwave and On The Rise by SOS Band. Total spent: $4. Not too shabby. Click the flyer above for more info.

Have a nice weekend, kids! I know I will!!!!!

1 comment:

Katherine said...

Sweet blog entry baby! Have an awesome birthday!